Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Film damage from projector

  1. #1
    Dominic3
    Guest Dominic3's Avatar

    Post

    I projected 2 films through my spare projector yesterday and it has been a disaster - the entire left hand side of the films have been scratched!!

    The projector is a reliable manual threading Eumig, so I am struggling to identify the cause.......any advice???

    ------------------

  2. #2
    MikeBrantley
    Guest MikeBrantley's Avatar

    Post

    Clean it, blow it out and put some lemon furniture wax on anything the film touches. I'm serious! (Well, doesn't have to be lemon.) Run some scratch-free test footage you don't care about through the projector to see if it still scratches the film.

    Good luck!

    ------------------
    --Mike Brantley

  3. #3
    Dominic3
    Guest Dominic3's Avatar

    Post

    Thank you Mike!

    I will attempt this tomorrow - I laughed at the "lemon furniture wax" but I will give it a try.

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Dominic3
    Guest Dominic3's Avatar

    Post

    Mike,

    I thoroughly cleaned the inside of the projector as you suggested, however, it still scratches the film.......(only slightly less than before).

    I can not work out what is causing this - it is the right hand side of the film that is getting scratched all along the perforation and on a section of the film, (the left side when projected on the screen).

    Is this the end of the life of my spare Eumig?

    ------------------

  5. #5
    MikeBrantley
    Guest MikeBrantley's Avatar

    Post

    Hmmmm.... something is obviously wrong. I can't envision this model right now. Is part or most of the film path obstructed from view during operation, or is there a way to really study every inch of where the film goes without total disassembly? Somwhere, there must be some sort of rough area or something.

    I don't know what to suggest. If it was a high-end Elmo I'd say send it to Irv Higdon for repair. But maybe you could get another projector for a lot less than repairs go for these days.

    Good luck! Sorry I can't think of something else to tell you, but maybe someone else has some ideas.

    ------------------
    --Mike Brantley

  6. #6
    Dominic3
    Guest Dominic3's Avatar

    Post

    I appreciate your help Mike.

    I will take the projector apart again and go through the path that the film follows, perhaps I missed an area.

    Thanks again.

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •